Matchup: Detroit Pistons vs Sacramento Kings
Records: Pistons (17-22), Kings (20-21)
Where to Watch
Date: Friday, Jan. 11
Time: 8:30 AM IST
TV: Sony Ten1
Location: Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, CA
As both of these teams meet for the first time this season, both are in desperate need for a win.
The Pistons lost on Thursday to the Lakers and have lost six of their last seven. In fact, after their 13-7 start, they have slumped to winning just 4 of their next 19 games.
The Pistons' 13th-best offense during the 13-7 start slumped to 27th since Dec. 3.Their defense plummeted from ranked 8th to 19th.
A couple of prominent issues for the team have been shooting and turnovers. The Pistons are ranked 29th in the league in both field-goal percentage (43.5%) and 3-point shooting (32.9%). The team averages 15.1 turnovers per game, ranked 22nd in the league.
The team's only bright spot seems to be the play of Blake Griffin, who is averaging career-highs in points (25.1) while making 36.2% of his three's on a career-high 6.4 attempts.
On the other hand, for the Kings, a positive season has seen a recent slide as the team has lost five of their last six. Their current record (20-21) has gone below .500 for the first time this season since Nov. 30.
Despite the recent losses, there's no doubting the team's all-round improvement.
De'Aaron Fox playing like the league's best sophomore combined with the improved play of Buddy Hield and Willie Cauley-Stein has spurred the franchise along to its start in over a decade.
Going by the numbers, Sacramento is easily the most improved team this season. Just have a look:
|Last season||2018-19 season|
|Points per game||98.8 (30th)||115.0 (5th)|
|Field goal%||45.0% (22nd)||47.0% (9th)|
|Fast Break points||10.4 (20th)||22.7 (1st)|
|Points in the Paint||43.5 (22nd)||52.0 (5th)|
|Points off turnovers||15.2 (24th)||21.1 (1st)|
|Pace||95.59 (30th)||104.95 (2nd)|
The numbers speak for themselves.
- At the halfway mark of the season (game-wise), the Kings have a record of 11-10 at home.
- On the other hand, the Pistons are 6-12 on the road.
- This is the Detroit's fifth back-to-back of the season and on the second night of the previous four, the Kings are 2-2.
- For the Pistons' Ish Smith is a game-time decision. They will, however, miss three other players in Zaza Pachulia (Lower Leg), Henry Ellenson (Ankle), and Zach Lofton (Wrist).
- The Kings have only two players on the injured players list with Marvin Bagley III (Rest) and Iman Shumpert (Finger) as game-time decisions.
Last Time They Played
Date: Mar. 20, 2018
Score: Pistons 106-90 Kings
Pistons: Blake Griffin - 26 points, 9 rebounds, and 7 assists on 50% shooting.
Kings: Buddy Hield - 20 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals on 53.3% shooting.