Team USA claim gold for the seventh-straight Olympics, with a commanding 90-65 win over Japan in the final.
Brittney Griner dominated with 30 points on 14-of-18 shooting, while A'Ja Wilson added 19 points. Brenna Stewart did a little bit of everything, finishing with 14 points, 14 rebounds and five assists.
Maki Takada led Japan with 17 points, while Nako motohashi added 16 points five rebounds and four assists as they secure their first-ever medal.
If you missed any of the actionn, we've got you covered with all the live updates, scores and stats from the game below:
Team USA vs. Japan - live score and updates
FINAL: USA 90, Japan 75
- And that's it. The USA win gold with a commanding victory.
A 30-piece! @brittneygriner- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
That's a new 🇺🇸 #USABWNT Olympic gold medal game scoring record! Big, big, big time performance BG. pic.twitter.com/4Wa1ll2UOF
- USA empty the bench as they close in on the W.
- Dawn Staley's resume is something else!
.@dawnstaley's resume is 🔥 pic.twitter.com/xkljEVTQXf- Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) August 8, 2021
Megan Rapinoe in the stands watching on as Sue Bird closes in on her fifth gold medal.
We have US sporting icons on the floor and in the stands! 🇺🇸🤩- FIBA | #Basketball #Tokyo2020 (@FIBA) August 8, 2021
Hope you're enjoying the game @mPinoe!#Tokyo2020 | #Basketball pic.twitter.com/DwXVNttxCe
- Breanna Stewart gets the tough and-1 finish to go and USA extend the lead to 23 points.
HOW WE FEELING USA?!- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
6:35 4Q | 🇺🇸 81 🇯🇵 59#Tokyo2020 #Basketball pic.twitter.com/hmNfOJUJMD
End of third quarter: USA 75, Japan 56
USA starting ro run away with things in the third, outscoring Japan 25-17. Griner leads the way with 28, while Stewart is closing in on a triple-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds and five assists.
10 minutes, folks. 10 minutes to 🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
END 3Q | 🇺🇸 75 🇯🇵 56#Tokyo2020 #Basketball pic.twitter.com/6DNeJsjGpj
- Wilson with the block and Stewart outlets to Sue Bird for the open layup. Timeout Japan. USA lead 70-49 (2:33)
Have a day, bigs! 24 for BG, 17 for A'ja.- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
2:33 3Q | 🇺🇸 70 🇯🇵 49#Tokyo2020 #Basketball pic.twitter.com/wIhYyj8hdU
- Breanna Stweart is doing a little bit of everything for Team USA. She's got eight points, eight rebounds and three blocks
- Griner and Wilson are unstoppable tonight. Wilson goest to the line for a pair of free throws and USA are now into the bonus (5:29)
- If it ain't broke don't fix it. USA start the second half through Griner getting two quick buckets. She's up to 22 points on 11-of-13 shooting. USA lead 54-43.
Half-time: USA 50, Japan 39
The first half belonged to Brittney Griner, who has a game-high 18 points on 9-of-10 shooting, whle A'Ja Wilson has 10 points. USA have been dominant going inside, outscoring Japan 32-18 in the paint.
One half away from #OlympicHERstory 🥇@brittneygriner 18 PTS@_ajawilson22 10 PTS#Tokyo2020 #Basketball pic.twitter.com/rDJIa8B9X3- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
- Japan looking much more comfortable on the offensve end, getting clean looks at the basket, but they stil have no answers in the paint as Griner and co. continue to have their way inside.
- USA halt the Japan run with a 12-3 stretch to take a 14-point lead.
Quick little 8-0 run to stretch the lead out again. We have 28 points in the paint!- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
2:02 2Q | 🇺🇸 46 🇯🇵 32#Tokyo2020 #Basketball pic.twitter.com/ZEvKT9Wsbc
- Japan keep coming and Yoshi's triple cuts the lead down to 38-32 (3:50)
- Breanna Stewart has been awesome on the defensive end early. USA already has six blocks tonight.
- Here come Japan! They've opened the quarter well, keeping pace with USA's offence.
First quarter: USA 23, Japan 14
Team USA get out to a fast start, connecting on 11-of-18 from the field (61 percent), while Japan hit just 22 percent of their field goals.
Griner and Wilson are commanding the paint, outscoring Japan 14-2 inside.
Stewie drills a triple to close out the quarter! BG owning the post with 10 PTS, 4 REB 💪- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
END 1Q | 🇺🇸 23 🇯🇵 14#Tokyo2020 #Basketball pic.twitter.com/ftlLLbXg9y
- Jewell Lloyd caps the quarter with a triple at the buzzer!
- Just what Japan needed! They bury back-to-back 3-pointers to cut the deficit to 18-11 . They've been the best 3-point shooting team all tournament and will need to keep connecting from deep to counteract USA's size. (2:40)
- USA is making the most of their size advantage getting it inside to Griner and Wilson. On the other end, Japan are yet to settle into their offence, shooting just 1-of-9 from the field. (5:30)
- A fast start for Team USA as they connect on four of their first five shots to take an 8-2 lead (7:20)
USA Starters: Sue Bird, A'Ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, and Brittney Griner
🇺🇸 Starters vs 🇯🇵 Japan 🥇- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
» @brittneygriner#Tokyo2020 #Basketball pic.twitter.com/IP88Psohhp
Final Preparations 🥇- USA Basketball (@usabasketball) August 8, 2021
vs 🇯🇵 Japan
🕥 10:30 PM ET
🇺🇸 #USABWNT x #Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/7Yk5mio4FS
The views on this page do not necessarily represent the views of the NBA or its clubs.